I’m a big fan of oatmeal. It is filling, it helps with cravings and it reduces cholesterol. I always, always, always make it with either almond milk or regular milk. I can’t stand the taste of it with water. I also like to add things in. One of my very favorite combinations is what I call Almond Joy Oatmeal.
I never buy prepackaged oatmeal–I prefer the large cardboard canisters. However I do love all the goodness these individual packs of oatmeal. They are full of all kinds of good things (quinoa, flax seed, oats) and they have a measuring mark on the side so you get exactly the right amount of milk (or water if you prefer). There are 5 packs per box. I usually buy the pure and simple but this week I bought the chai flavor to try. I keep a box in my locker at work and then I only have to bring my milk and mix ins with me.
Making Almond Joy Oatmeal is ridiculously easy and I feel silly even posting a recipe!
- One serving of plain oatmeal made with vanilla almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of almond slivers
- 1 tablespoon of dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon of shredded coconut
Cook your oatmeal and while it is still hot, stir in the chocolate chips. They will melt down and make a delicious chocolate oatmeal. Sprinkle shredded coconut and slivered almonds on top.
When made with milk this totals about 390 calories which is a little much for breakfast. However it will stick with me until lunch so I don’t have the urge to snack in the morning.
Other things I like to add to my oatmeal are
- an apple with dried cranberries
- a banana with walnuts
- a tablespoon of peanut butter
- a tablespoon of peanut or almond butter and some dark chocolate chips (tastes like a No-Bake/Preacher Cookie/Cow Pie/whatever they call them in your neck of the woods)
Do you like oatmeal? What is your favorite way to eat it?
Please follow and like us: