I’m sharing a homeschool curriculum review today about one of my favorite companies, My Father’s World. This is not a sponsored post, I just love their company and their products so much that I wanted to share all about them.
We started using My Father’s World curriculum in 2009 when my oldest was in 3rd grade and my middle daughter was in pre-K/K. I was about to pop with baby #3, it was our first year homeschooling, we had just relocated to a new state, and I was working part-time! I needed something easy that didn’t require a ton of work on my part. It was a blessing to find My Father’s World.
One homeschool mom, Rysa, shared this in the My Father’s World Facebook group:
“ I have a personal story that shows the true heart of the company. We had a total loss house fire in March of last year. My friends soon thereafter called MFW to gain info on what material I needed to jump right back into school, knowing how important that is to my family. Well, MFW immediately sent me everything I ever ordered from them for FREE!! The company truly lives what they guide us to teach! I cannot even express what a comfort and joy there was when I opened up the box and placed the material into our rental bookcase.”
I don’t know about you but I feel good about supporting a company like that! I asked on that same Facebook group about pros and cons of the curriculum. Here is my list of My Father’s World curriculum pros and cons compiled from over thirty moms who have first hand knowledge!
- Lesson plans are easy to follow and require little preparation
- Good/strong family relationships because kids learn together
- One-Room Schoolhouse approach–don’t need multiple levels of curriculum for each child
- Biblical worldview
- Blending of homeschool styles (Charlotte Mason, Classical, Unit Studies)
- Covers social studies, bible, science, art and music
- Cost effective (can reuse unit studies by just purchasing new student sheets)
- Ability to teach several students in different grades together
- Classical music CDs are included
- Great hands on activities for little ones
- Lighter schedule/easy to accomodate a four day homeschool week
- Part of every purchase goes to bible translation
- Book Basket list is thorough with great book choices and it encourages kids to read
- Student sheets are clearly labeled with week and day
- Very detailed teacher’s manual–great for new homeschoolers
- Not feeling like you are doing “enough” compared to your peers (even though you ARE!)
- Lots of time spent reading aloud–can be difficult for some children to pay attention
- When teaching more than one child and one isn’t ready to move on the other children have to wait for them
- History is focused on American history so not as good of a choice for those outside the USA
- Dependence on the library for “book basket” books may be difficult for some
- Notebooking pages are “plain” and not as thorough compared to other programs
- Math and phonics are integrated in the Kindergarten and 1st grade program–if your child is ahead or behind you will have to supplement
- Can not copy student sheets–have to purchase one per child; if child makes a mistake can not print another sheet
- Need a stronger high school program
Overall, these moms were united on one thing: they all love My Father’s World and they continue to use it year after year!