Since my vision is so poor, I have to get thinned out lenses for my glasses. I typically pay upwards of $200-$250 for one pair of glasses. (Did you know that eyeglasses from a typical brick and mortar eye care store have been marked up 400%? That is crazy!) I had always thought since my vision was so poor that I couldn’t buy my glasses online and I was so excited when some friends with equally bad vision told me they had success with purchasing online glasses. So I decided to give it a go and after doing some online research I decided to use Zenni Optical.
There are a couple things I needed before ordering:
- I had to get a copy of my prescription and it had to be faxed or e-mailed to Zenni. I told my doctor I planned to order online and asked for a printed copy of my presciption. I ordered my glasses and then faxed my prescription the next day.
- I had to know my pupillary distance. You can measure this yourself but I just had someone at the eye care center measure it for me. I didn’t even ask–when I told the doctor I was going to order online she said, “Okay–you’ll need your pupillary distance measured.”
Once I had those two things I was ready to shop! I logged onto the Zenni website and browsed through several pages of frames. After choosing a few that I like, I uploaded a photo of myself and “tried on” several pairs. They have a huge selection for adults and kids. I settled on some black frames with white detail. (A couple months later I also ordered a pair with a skull and crossbones on them!)
Here are my thoughts on ordering eyeglasses online with Zenni Optical:
- Very economical
- Easy to place orders (and reorders)
- Stylish frames
- Large variety
- Free hard case and cleaning cloth with every order
- Can not physically try frames on prior to purchase
I really can not think of any other cons. Annagrace and I have been very happy with our glasses. I’ve had them for several months and they have held up well to daily wear. I will definitely use Zenni from now on and I have referred several friends to them. I can’t imagine paying $200 again for a pair of glasses!
Have you ever purchased eye glasses online? If you haven’t, you should give it a try!